Tuesday, 21 July 2015

Beginner sewing for under 5's

I love sewing, especially hand sewing little projects, it's something I wish I had more time to do. When I was little I remember mum buying me a few little cross stitch kits and loving them so I thought I would start doing some hand sewing activities with Abby. She's 4 now so has the basic hand eye coordination needed for hand sewing.





I thought to start us off I would get one of these cheap little kits from Spotlight, it was about $3.50 from memory so if it ended up not working out it wasn't a big deal but would make a great starting point.
The kit is pretty straight forward, there aren't many instructions but from the picture on the front you can easily figure out what you need to do.



Abby got the hang of the sewing pretty quickly and in no time she was doing it with very minimal help from me. I really liked how the holes in the felt were pre-cut so she didn't have to use any force to get the plastic needle through, I'll also be keeping the plastic needle for future projects too.

 After that she was able to glue all the other bits on and it was done in less than 20 minutes. I thought it was a great length of time for an activity especially for under 5's because they don't have the longest attention span and it was finished within one session.


I don't know what we will do with our new panda friend, she will probably hang it in her room somewhere or we will put it in our Christmas box so we can hang it on our Christmas tree. He's not perfect but we are really happy with how he turned out. It's not about looking the same as the picture it's about Abby's interpretation and creativity. I try to interfere as little as possible so she can do what she feels, these things are meant to be fun!



Have you tried any of these kits before? I have another hand sewing project for her to do which is a bit more complex that I will show you when we do that too, but I think we may do a couple more of these simple kits so she gets really comfortable with them first!

Robin xx




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Crazy Mother Crafter By Robin Ronowicz
| Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates