Monday, 1 September 2014

Why I quit my day job!

Growing up I wanted to be a number of things, a chef, a dermatologist, a hair dresser, an archaeologist, a princess and Batman. None of these things happened obviously although I do hold out hope that one day I will be Batman!


When I was 14 I did 3 days work experience at a pharmacy, I knew by day 2 that it was what I wanted to do. I remember distinctly my mum coming to visit me 'at work' and her whispering "How's it going?" and I whispered back "I love it!!!!"

I started on my way to becoming a dispensary technician. I really wasn't getting anywhere at school I was too busy talking to my friends and caring about boys that really no work was being achieved and it wasn't very beneficial to stay. So I walked into the pharmacy by my mum's house and asked them what I had to do to work there. The pharmacist there referred me to a local course and I enrolled. The tutor was a little bit reluctant to accept me into the program because I was so young but I convinced her I could do it. So I did my course which involved some practical work at a pharmacy. Once the course was over I got a job at the same pharmacy I was working at for my course as a cosmetic/front counter staff member, which I loved. After about a year or two (I forget now it seems like 100 years ago) I was ready to move up to the dispensary. There was no need for a technician at my current pharmacy so I wasn't given a pay rise or promotion but I was allowed to do my technician training.

All was well in the world, I loved my job in my little pharmacy where I got the best of both worlds. I got to talk to customers, do the front counter stuff and also the cosmetic side of things. My pharmacy then closed and I was transferred to a much bigger much busier pharmacy. I really enjoyed working there but I don't think it was the right fit for me. I didn't get the customer interaction I enjoyed so much in the last job and it all felt quite mechanical!

Then things changed again.... I was pregnant!!!

Growing up I always wanted to be a stay at home mum when I had children, or have a flexible job that meant I could walk my daughter to school and pick her up afterwards, go to sport days etc. Even though money was tight my now husband I decided to have a really good try at making it possible that I could stay home.

I knew once I had my daughter that I didn't want to go back to work. I had a pretty rough pregnancy and postpartum and over coming those obstacles I just wanted to be at home with my daughter. I made the decision quite early in my maternity leave that I wasn't going back. I was very apprehensive about officially quitting my day job, my husband is a builder and at the time work was quite unreliable and since I was 15 I had always earnt my own money. Being reliant on someone else financially was a really big hurdle for me, I think it comes from growing up with 3 parents (dad and mum and stepdad I'm not part of a polygamist cult) who were incredibly hard workers. The thought of sitting at home while my husband worked 12 hours a day made me feel incredible guilty. My husband of course is amazing and was 100% supportive in my want to stay home and didn't see things like that at all.

The first year of my daughters life was full of all the new mummy stuff, and also planning our wedding. It was exactly a month after our wedding that I started Vintage Spice and about a year and half later I started CrazyMotherCrafter as my second creative outlet where I could ramble and talk about things that I really care about.

Quitting my day job was probably one of the hardest decisions I have had to make but I have felt so rewarded and for filled in both my professional, creative and most importantly my family life! Being a work at home parent really works for our family.

Have you quit your day job to follow a crazy dream?
Have you taken a massive risk in your life?
I would love to hear about it!

Robin x


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Crazy Mother Crafter By Robin Ronowicz
| Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates